novembre 9, 2016
After the UK Brexit vote, Donald Trump’s election has been a new victory for the anti-establishment wave which roils worldwide political regimes. This rise of protectionism portends a decrease in global trade and an increase in inflation.
In the short run, observations derived from market prices dynamics and quoted risk premiums enable us to highlight the following investment themes:
1. Global equities tumble but the correction is milder than the one we could have expected following Trump’s surprise victory. (figure 1)
2. Implied volatilities on equities did not rise so much (+2 pts in the US, +1 pt in Europe).
3. Nevertheless, volatilities rose sharply on currencies following deep corrections on carry trades and emerging currencies (Mexican peso collapsed 8% whereas yen rose 2% since Trump was elected). (figure 2)
4. Credit markets were barely impacted (rise of 11 bps in Itraxx Crossover in Europe). (figure 3)
5. The main investment theme seems to be focused on precious and base metals. The latter surged 8% since the start of November while Gold rose 2.5% since yesterday. The advent of Basic Resources as the best performing sector in Europe is particularly noteworthy (+2.5% in the face of an equities drop).
6. The latest rise of commodities involve higher inflation perspectives which are reflected in bonds markets. As a matter of fact, yields rose in the long end of the curve (+12 bps in the US 30 years) as the curve steepens. Inflation anticipation has risen steadily in the US since the end of September (+20 bps).
Figure 1: Global equities tumble (source Bloomberg)
Figure 2: Forex movements on the aftermath of Trump presidency (source Bloomberg)
Figure 3: credit spread barely impacted ( 11bps) (source Bloomberg)
Published on Riskelia’s Blog
The information herein is not intended to be an offer to buy or sell, or a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any securities or financial instruments. This document is based upon sources believed to be reliable but is not guaranteed as to accuracy or completeness although Riskelia believes it to be clear, fair and not misleading. The view of Riskelia reflected in this document may change without notice. To the maximum extent possible at law, Riskelia does not accept liability whatsoever arising from the use of the material or information contained herein. This research document is not intended for use by or targeted at retail customers. Should a retail customer obtain a copy of this report they should not base their investment decisions solely on the basis of this document but must seek independent financial advice.